"Safety is our top priority and this in-depth investigation will help ensure that Metro-North is doing everything possible to improve its safety record," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. "Together with our other recent efforts, Operation Deep Dive will give travelers the peace of mind they deserve when traveling throughout the railroad's region."
U.S. Department of Transportation technical and human factors experts will conduct a review and assessment of safety-critical procedures and processes at Metro-North.
The rail safety team will look at:
• Track, signal and rolling stock maintenance, inspection and repair practices
• Protection for employees working on rail infrastructure, locomotives and rail cars
• Communication between mechanical and transportation departments at maintenance facilities
• Operation control center procedures and rail traffic controller training
• Compliance with federal Hours of Service regulations, including fatigue management programs
• Evaluating results of operational data to measure efficiency of employees' execution and comprehension of all applicable federal regulations
• Locomotive engineer oversight
• Engineer and conductor certification
• Operating crew medical requirements
"Encouraging a safety stand-down with employees and issuing an Emergency Order and Safety Advisory after the recent Metro-North accident were all necessary first steps to immediately secure and improve safety and we commend Gov. Cuomo and Metropolitan Transportation Authority in taking those steps," said Federal Railroad Administrator Joseph Szabo. "Operation Deep Dive allows FRA to further identify sources of risk and drive continuous safety improvement. This approach will help restore public confidence in Metro-North and is evidence of FRA's safety program that has helped reduce train accidents nation-wide by 43 percent over the past decade."
After Operation Deep Dive is complete, FRA will issue a report with findings and recommendations. FRA will further evaluate Metro-North's compliance with the Emergency Order, its effectiveness in fulfilling the recommendations in the Safety Advisory and, then, consider if additional actions are necessary to strengthen safety at Metro-North.