WHITBY – The Ontario government has awarded a contract to advance planning to extend GO train service to Bowmanville, marking another milestone in the province’s plan to deliver more transit options, connect communities and save families time and money in Durham Region and across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA).
“This contract brings us one step closer to extending the Lakeshore East GO line further into Durham Region, bringing GO train service to the people of Bowmanville for the first time,” said Premier Doug Ford. “Our government is supporting the largest transit expansion in North America, reducing gridlock, cutting commute times and improving the movement of people and goods throughout the province. We made a promise to get it done and we’re hard at work delivering on that promise.”
Ontario is investing $730 million to extend the Lakeshore East GO line further into Durham Region, bringing two-way all-day GO train service to Bowmanville. With nearly 17,000 daily trips and 4.9 million annual boardings expected by 2041, the Bowmanville Extension will connect more people to jobs and places while reducing travel times across the region.
“As more people call Ontario home, our government is making sure communities have access to fast, frequent and reliable transit,” said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. “By expanding our transportation network, we’re fighting gridlock, driving economic growth and attracting more jobs and investments to our province.”
The early stage infrastructure planning contract will support the nearly 20-kilometre extension project, which includes new tracks and signals, seven new bridges and at-grade crossing upgrades.
- Bowmanville Construction Partners (BCP) has been awarded an early stage contract to advance infrastructure planning on the Bowmanville Extension.
- By 2041, 19,000 people and 10,400 jobs will be within 800 metres of a station along the Extension.
- Once completed, the Bowmanville Extension will reduce average in-vehicle travel time from Bowmanville to Union Station by 15 minutes.
- The Bowmanville Extension is part of the GO expansion program on the Lakeshore East Line that will provide 15-minute or better service, all day in both directions, between Oshawa GO and Union Station and peak weekday service every 30 minutes between Bowmanville and Union Station.
- A virtual Public Information Centre is currently ongoing on the Bowmanville Extension Environmental Project Report (ERP) Addendum. Materials are available online for review and comment here until June 21, 2023.