Back in 2019, RT&S reported on Kentucky funding grade crossing improvements across the state. Now, just over three years later, Kentucky's governor has announced another round of funding for grade crossing improvement around the state.
This new round of funding, announced by Gov. Andy Beshear, provides more than $2.2 million in grants to improve railroad crossings in 11 Kentucky counties.
“Railroads are an essential part of Kentucky’s transportation system, reaching every corner of the commonwealth,” Gov. Beshear said. “The projects being accomplished with the help of these grants will result in greater safety for the millions of vehicles that cross railroad tracks and more efficient operation of the crossings themselves.”
The projects include upgrading crossing signals and lights, new pavement on approaches to crossings, replacement of approaches and, in some cases, full crossing replacements
Four companies submitted the selected grant applications: Paducah and Louisville Railway; RJ Corman Railroad Group; Kentucky Railway Museum; and Norfolk Southern. A Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) selection committee screened the applications, which then were approved by KYTC Secretary Jim Gray
A total of 17 projects were funded and are grouped below by grant recipient. Each railroad company is providing a minimum 20% match.
Here is a listing of the projects to be funded:
Paducah and Louisville (10 projects):
- Jefferson County – Cane Run Road, full crossing replacement, $103,921; Camp Ground Road/KY 2051, upgrade signals/lights, $171,894; Paralee Road, upgrade signals/lights, $189,727.
- Marshall County – Industrial Parkway/KY 1523, full crossing replacement, $166,220.
- McCracken County – Husband Road, upgrade signals/lights, $200,328.
- Muhlenberg County – KY 70, full crossing replacement, $85,918; Nelson Road/KY 1379, full crossing replacement and signal upgrade, $284,240.
- Caldwell County – Matt Rich Road, upgrade signals/lights, $189,727; Varmint Trace Road, upgrade signals/lights, $189,727.
- Hardin County – Hayden School Road, full crossing replacement, $110,724.
RJ Corman (3 projects):
- Bullitt County – Happy Hollow Road, full crossing replacement, $92,561.
- Fayette County – Bryan Station Road, crossing pavement replacement, $21,320.
- Nelson County – Mobley Mill Road, full crossing replacement, $74,133.
Kentucky Railway Museum (3 projects):
- Nelson County – U.S. 31E/Main Street, full crossing replacement, $126,671; Nelsonville Road, full crossing replacement, $72,592.
- LaRue County – Lyons Station Road, full crossing replacement, $72,592.
Norfolk Southern (1 project):
- Boone County – U.S. 25/Dixie Highway, crossing approach replacement, $62,692.