COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, or PUCO, has approved safety upgrades in Allen and Fayette Counties.
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, or PUCO, has approved safety upgrades in Allen and Fayette Counties. PUCO reports that Chicago Ft. Wayne & Eastern Railroad, CFE, will “install circuitry upgrades at the N. Cable Road grade crossing in the city of Lima, Allen County by October 18, 2024.” The cost of the upgrade is $216,973. While federal funding will pay for 80%, the remaining 20% will be paid by CFE.
Indiana & Ohio Railway, IORY, will also install gates and flashing lights and a new surface in Washington Court House, Fayette County at the West Court Street grade crossing. Similarly, this will be completed by October 18, 2024. The project’s total cost is $624,599, and federal funding will pay $562,255 with Washington Court House paying $62,344.
The local government may seek additional funding from PUCO for safety improvements to help “increase public safety during the construction of the project.” These safety improvements include illumination, improved signage, and rumble strips. These safety improvements can receive funding not exceeding $5,000 per project.
According to PUCO, a copy of the Commission order with a list of crossings that will receive upgrades is available on PUCO’s website here.