Illinois Commerce Commission Approves Highway-Rail Crossing Upgrades

Written by David C. Lester, Editor-in-Chief
image description
File Photo

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. –– The Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) approved a stipulated agreement to install new automated warning devices at three crossings in Galesburg and three in Marion County.

The new devices in Galesburg will be installed at the Seminary Street North Wye Track (AAR/DOT #062987E), the Seminary Street South Wye Track (AAR/DOT #062988L), and at South Chambers Street (AAR/DOT #062989T) crossings.

ICC Commissioner Michael T. Carrigan said “Improving our state’s existing rail safety infrastructure goes a long way toward reducing collisions and keeping [Illinoisans] safe alongside train tracks. The ICC recognizes the important role the Grade Crossing Protection Fund plays in helping railroads and local governments complete these critical safety projects.”

The ICC says that the total estimated cost of the signal design and installation is $997,822, and it recommends that the Grade Crossing Protection Fund (GCPF) be used to pay 95% of the signal design and construction costs, not to exceed $947,926. BNSF Railway Comapny will pay the remaining 5% of the cost, and all future maintenance costs for the signals and circuitry. In addition, the ICC says that all work is to be completed within 18 months from the Order date.

Additional details about this project can be found at this link.

For news about grade crossing upgrades in Marion County, please follow this link.

Tags: , , ,