ICC Approves Upgrades for Three Crossings in Adams County

Written by Jennifer McLawhorn, Managing Editor
image description

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – Near La Prarie, Illinois, crews will install lights and gates at three rail crossings.

The Illinois Commerce Commission has approved three public safety projects in Adams County. Near La Prarie, crews will install automatic flashing light signals and gates at three highway-rail crossings at East 2650th Street, North 2800th Avenue, and North 2900th Avenue.

The Grade Crossing Protection Fund (GCPF) will be used to pay 95% of $1,056,857, the total cost for all three crossings. ICC reports BNSF will pay the remaining 5% of the cost. In addition, the cost to rehabilitate the current highway approaches is estimated at $336,172, and the GCPF will pay 100% of that cost. The Northeast Township Road District will be responsible for any future maintenance costs. Work is expected to be finished within 18 months of the Order date.

ICC Commissioner Michael T. Carrigan said the “upgrades to these highway-rail crossings in Adams County will protect pedestrians and motorists near and around trains. The Grade Crossing Protection Fund enables the ICC to help communities across Illinois to afford and move forward with important rail safety improvements.”

Tags: , , ,