The Maryland Department of Transportation has determined the entire Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) rail system will remain closed for up to four weeks following an inspection.
MTA says the shutdown is to ensure the safety of all customers and will extend through March 11. Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan authorized $2.2 million in emergency funding to run supplemental bus bridges in addition to regular Baltimore Link bus services.
The weekend inspection of the entire system was conducted after routine inspections last week determined the elevated track from Owings Mills to West Cold Spring would be closed for several weeks to replace track in advance of the planned summer replacement project. MTA said it would evaluate partial reopening of the system as sections of the Metro SubwayLink are repaired.
“Safety is our top priority,” said MTA Administrator Kevin Quinn. “With bus bridges, we will be able to do the necessary rail repairs to reopen our system as quickly as possible while still providing our customers with critical access to work, school, medical facilities and leisure activities.”
“On behalf of our citizens who rely daily on the Metro SubwayLink system for their transport needs, I want to express our gratitude to the Hogan Administration for this emergency funding we requested to provide dedicated buses that will travel the Metro SubwayLink route,” said Baltimore Mayor Catherine E. Pugh. “It is important that we do everything possible to mitigate the inconvenience of prolonged disruption of the Metro SubwayLink service.”