The Board of Directors of Metrolinx in Toronto, Canada, voted unanimously to proceed with the implementation of the Toronto Transit Plan as originally approved by Metrolinx on May 19, 2010, consisting of the following projects:
• The Eglinton Crosstown LRT from the Jane Street/Black Creek area to Kennedy Station with an in-service date of 2020.
• The Scarborough RT/Sheppard LRT maintenance and storage facility, with a construction start of 2013 and substantial completion in 2016.
• The Scarborough RT replacement and extension to Sheppard Avenue, with a construction start of 2014 and an in-service date of 2019.
• The Sheppard East LRT from Don Mills Station to east of Morningside Avenue, with a construction start of 2014 and an in-service date of 2018.
• The Finch West LRT from the Toronto-York-Spadina Subway Extension to Humber College, with a construction start date of 2015 and an in-service date of 2019.
Metrolinx also approved using Infrastructure Ontario for project delivery subject to positive value-for-money analysis results and Treasury Board approval.
The Province of Ontario and Metrolinx have committed $8.4 billion dollars to transit projects in Toronto.
Toronto City Council and Tansportation Minister Bob Chiarelli are in support of the plan and Chiarelli said the province’s focus is to deliver “much-needed public transit projects for the residents of Toronto.”